Born in 1950 in Lexington, Kentucky, John primarily lived in Lexington but has spent summers at his family’s cottage on the Kentucky River in Clark County, Kentucky. John graduated from St. Joseph Preparatory School in Bardstown, Kentucky and attended the University of Notre Dame where he earned a B.A. Degree cum laude in 1972. He then attended the University of Kentucky, College of Law where he received a Juris Doctorate Degree in 1975.
John joined the law firm of White, McCann & Stewart in December of 1974 as a Law Clerk. He became an Associate Attorney in October of 1975, and a Partner in 1978. He and his wife, Elizabeth Lewis Rompf, a professor of in the College of Social Work at the University of Kentucky raised their four children in Winchester.
John has been very involved in Winchester civic affairs. He has served on the board of the Winchester Clark County Chamber of Commerce for nearly 30 years. He was twice named Most Valuable Board Member in 1993 and in 2010. He was Vice Chair in 1994 and Chairman in 1995 and Vice President of Business Enhancement for 3 years and Vice President of Civic Affairs for 3 years.
He was a member of the Winchester Lions Club from 1976 to 2008, and served as President in 1983, Most Valuable Member in 1984, and on the Board of Directors from 1979 to 1985. He served as a Big Brother for the Clark County Big Brothers and Sisters Program from 1978 to 1986 and on the Board of Directors from 1979 to 1986 where he served as Board President in 1985. He has also served on the Board of the Nursing Home Ombudsman Agency of the Bluegrass since 1999 for 13 years and served as Board President in 2006 and 2007.
Areas of Practice:
- General Civil litigation and appellate work
- Family law including divorce, custody and adoptions
- Real estate law including title exams and closings
- Residential and Commercial
- Estate Planning and Settlement including trusts and wills
- Municipal Utility Law
- Law Clerk, Judge James S. Chenault, 25th Judicial District Kentucky (1974)
- Associate, White McCann and Stewart, (1975-1979)
- Partner, White McCann and Stewart, PLLC (1979 to present)
- University of Kentucky, College of Law, J.D., 1975
- University of Notre Dame, B.A., 1972, cum laude
- St. Joseph Preparatory School, Bardstown, Kentucky 1968
Admitted to practice before:
- Kentucky Supreme Court (1975)
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Kentucky (1979)
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Eastern District of Kentucky (1979)
- United States Supreme Court (1986)
- Kentucky Bar Association
- Clark County Bar Association (President 1986)
- Kentucky Bar Foundation Life Fellow
- Winchester Municipal Utilities
- The Allen Company
- Peoples Exchange Bank
- Boonesboro Quarry
- Littrell Homes, Inc.
John Rompf, Jr., Attorney